Thursday, June 2, 2011

I HAVE BABIES!

There are 4 of them - baby robins right outside my bedroom window. I feel like a peeper myself but I watched this mom on her nest for over a week, and finally one day saw her feeding 4 downy balls. Oh, and with heads made of mouths. No really, I swear their head split right in two to open cavernously every time she came near. Otherwise, they just laid down and snuggled together.

It's been about 6 days since I first saw her feeding them, and they're stretching their wings - with actual feathers now - and are alert - they watch when mom (and supposedly dad) goes to get food. Their heads are only 50% mouth now. To see this transformation in only 6 days is incredible to me. Downy puffball to winged bird in 6 days seems to rival the butterfly's transformation. Babies are amazing.

The picture to the left was taken 2 days ago with a cheap digital point and shoot, sorry! I should get a zoom lens and an expensive digital SLR camera, as well as go down there and trim the branches away from the nest - but I don't want to scare the mom away! The movie below was taken yesterday.



They're so cute I'm gonna DIE!!!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

How sweet! Jason found a robin's nest with little eggs in it in the tree next to our garage, but one day when he came home from work, all the eggs were missing except one, and the mother bird had disappeared. We were really sad to lose them!

Mary Alvarez said...

Awww! Two days ago mine all disappeared as well, but they were getting to about the age where they were supposed to be able to fly. Since I haven't seen any bunches of feathers nearby, I'm going to choose to assume that they moved to a safer location.

Supposedly blue jays prey on robin eggs; we might have that problem here (the blue jays sure love my acorns). If you can find a way to get them to leave, let me know!!